ES1 known as a “crocodile” by the people who worked with them.
The North Eastern Railway ordered their first two electric locomotives in 1902.
When completed in 1904 numbers one and two were of the centre cab design with a 160 HP. motor driving each axle, working at 600 volts DC.
The two engines spent all their working lives at the Quayside branch.
The engines were remarkably reliable and suffered very few failures.
Both engines were withdrawn on the 4 September 1964 and number 25600 (ex no 1) finally ended up in the Nation Railway Museum.
Portrait of a Crocodile