LNER Locomotives, A4 4499 Pochard and Atlantic C1 3251 heading towards gasworks tunnel in 1939. The building at the lefthand side of the track is the Kings Cross Mortuary that was built in 1861.
The A4 carried the name 'Pochard' from new, until going into works for its first general repair in February 1939, it then had a name change to Sir Murrough Wilson on 27th April 1939.
Here it is heading for the West Riding and Leeds Central on normal duties, with nameplates covered before the official renaming ceremony later in the month.
Atlantic C1 3251 is currently residing at the NRM Locomotion.
Reference photo copyright to Flickr user JSB303. Used with kind permission.
A Knight Ascending